Diversity Leadership Award
This award recognizes contributions from 3 categories: student, individual or small group, and program or project that:
-Demonstrate a commitment to an open, diverse and inclusive learning and working environment that nurtures the growth and development of all;
-Promote a diverse and inclusive community of mutual respect; and
-Support an array of values, interests, experiences, and intellectual and cultural viewpoints.
There will be 1 award winner and 2 honorable mentions per category.
Criteria for Consideration
Award nominations will be evaluated based on the following three criteria:
- The extent to which the nominee promotes a campus environment that is welcoming, supportive, and nurturing for people of any race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, national origin, age, ancestry, disability, status as a veteran, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, and genetic information.
- The extent to which the nominee raises awareness and consciousness about issues of equity, diversity and/or inclusion in the campus community.
- The impact the nominee’s activities have had, reflected by the reach, duration, and sustainability of those activities relative to their target audience for those activities.
All students, faculty, and employees of the University and its affiliated corporations are eligible for nomination. Nominations will be accepted from any person, whether affiliated with the University or not, and may include self-nominations. Nominations will be in be in one of threes categories, either for a student, an individual/small group, or for a project/program. A separate award will be granted for each of the three categories. 2 Honorable mentions from each category will also be highlighted at the award reception.
Nominators must complete the attached nomination form, which includes:
- Contact information for the nominee and nominator
- Contact information for three references that can attest to statements made in the nomination
- A brief narrative (500 words or less) describing how the nominee demonstrates each of the award criteria
A seven-member committee, chaired by an eighth non-voting designee of the Vice Provost for Diversity and Equity, will review nominations and select the award recipients. Nominations will be assessed by the three criteria identified above. The committee may consider information submitted with the nomination, as well as information gathered from other relevant sources, to ensure the nominees meet the identified criteria and represent the spirit of the award.