Graduate Student Support

We partner with the Offices of Graduate Studies, Student Affairs, Academic Success, and other graduate student-serving units to ensure that the student experience and campus climate are inclusive and equitable.

Graduate Student Concern & Retention Pathway

Navigating a large campus can be overwhelming. The Report It website provides contact information for reporting concerns and issues related to several topics, including: accessibility, campus maintenance, crimes/safety, discrimination, events, health/wellness, integrity/ethics, student and employee conduct, and technology.

It is appropriate to submit incidents of potential sexual misconduct, discrimination, harassment, dating/domestic violence, stalking, retaliation to the Office of Civil Rights & Title IX as they have investigative authority and are very connected to campus and community support resources.

Additionally, University employees and affiliates - including graduate student employees (e.g. hourlies, GA, GTA, GRAs, fellows, etc.) - are mandatory reporters. That means whether committed against them or someone else, they are required to report incidents of sexual misconduct, discrimination, harassment, dating/domestic violence, stalking, or retaliation.

Pathway for Graduate Student Concerns

Director of Graduate Studies

If your concern is not specifically related to harassment or discrimination (which should be reported to the Office of Civil Rights & Title IX), you should reach out to your academic department's Director of Graduate Studies. They should assist you in resolving your concern or refer you to others on campus you can assist, such as Graduate Studies, Ombuds Office, Student Affairs, or others.

Department Chair or Director

If your Director of Graduate Studies is unavailable or unresponsive, your next point of contact is the Department Chairperson or Director.

Equity Advisor

If the department chairperson or director is not helpful in addressing or resolving your concern, you should reach out to your Equity Advisor. They serve as a liaison between the Office of DEIB and each academic and administrative unit on campus. The Equity Advisor is a point person to ensure that equitable practices and an inclusive climate are facilitated and maintained for all students, staff, and faculty on KU’s campuses.

Dean or Vice Provost

If your Equity Advisor is unresponsive to your concern, you should reach out to the Dean or Vice Provost who leads the unit. In that communication, you may copy the departmental emails for the Office of Graduate Studies, Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging, and/or Student Affairs.

Concerned about yourself or a fellow student?

If you are a student, staff, faculty, or family member who has concerns about a specific student’s behaviors and/or well-being and do not know where to turn, Student Affairs Student Care Referral Team strives to develop, facilitate, and coordinate a university-wide program of care and support for students.

Submit a care referral.

Aerial photo of campus


This DEIB Toolbox assists and supports unit and program-level planning, action, and continued education on cultivating diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging using the RISE framework.

Visit the DEIB RISE Toolbox