Name & Gender Marker Changes

At the University of Kansas, we work to make sure that students, faculty, and staff see their lived name and pronouns used and affirmed through KU systems to the extent possible. The Office of DEIB and Center for Sexuality & Gender Diversity are actively working to improve systems across campus.

Email if you encounter challenges

KU ID Card Replacement

The KU identification card is not a form of legal ID. Students, staff, and faculty are able to get a KU Card using their chosen/lived name instead of their legal first name when they receive their initial KU Campus ID Card, or when needing a replacement. The relevant KU policy uses the term "preferred name."

Fees Waived

The Office of Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Belonging will cover replacement KU card fees for LGBTQIA+ faculty and staff who wish to change the name on the KU card to their lived/chosen name. Student Senate covers the cost for students changing their name. Having a legal name change is not required for the fee waiver. 


To request a replacement card due to "gender affirmation" reasons (e.g., updating a name or photo that more accurately reflects your identity), visit Request a Replacement KU Card.

  • Click on "Request a Replacement Card". This will take you through the Single Sign On system, where you will enter your KU Online ID (j000h000) and password.
  • Once logged in, you can fill out a web form where you can provide the updated information.
  • In order to have your replacement card paid for through Student Senate or DEIB, you must select "Gender Affirmation" as the Reason for Replacement.
    • Note: Your legal name will automatically populate on the webform. However, there is a field called "Preferred Name For Card" where you can type in the name you would like to have printed on the replacement card.